Tuesday 1 December 2009

Happy National Day, Romania!



If you ever decide to learn something about the history of Romania, think twice! I am not trying to discourage you to do so. Better yet, if you manage your way in this junggle you'll have my cheers; in a cheerleading outfit with all the implied acrobatics. Is just that I'm finding it so dense and my brain is so history-proof!
So I decided to remember, refresh, re-learn or simply learn it bit by bit. Today seems like a perfect day to start. However, this is not a proper history lesson; I will keep it as short as possible, highlighting the basics.

Why 1st of December?
Let's not go back to Zalmoxis, but around the World War I, when:
- The Romanian Old Kingdom (as it was in 1913) included Wallahia and Moldavia united in 1859, to which Northern Dobruja was added in 1878 and Southern Dobruja in 1913.
- In 1918, first Bessarabia (March 27), then Bukovina (November 15/28) and then the last piece of the puzzle, Transylvania (December 1), united with the Old Kingdom giving birth to what is known as Greater Romania. 
- Unfortunately after the World War II Southern Dobruja, Basarabia and Bucovina were again lost; up to this day, they still are.
- to quote Wikipedia (credit for the map too)"Romanian territory during the 20th century: purple indicates the Old Kingdom before 1913, pink indicates Greater Romania areas that joined after WWI and remained so after WWII, and orange indicates areas that joined Romania after WWI or were annexed after the Second Balkan War, but were lost after WWII. The small Hertza region, also purple but delimited, was part of the Old Kingdom before 1913, but was lost after WWII."


 So there, we know.
Now, everyone, raise for the national anthem (with an English translation!)



On a more personal note...
[Despite my being an undutiful daughter, I still, somewhere deep, so deep-that-you-would-think-is-not, inside, care about you. Not because you would have the ability to feed me reasons to care but because, at some point in the history of your existence, some of my siblings sacrificed for my sake; and yours. However selfish you've been so hard and for so long trying to teach me to be, that lesson just wouldn't squeeze in. So, for the last time, save your breath. Your essence is vanishing and you are getting more and more transparent with each year.
I sincerely hope that I won't be here to testify the death of altruism and birth of egoism because I know is useless to hope that this won't happen.
May your spirit never trully fade, may your integrity never again be torn, may what you once had return.]

No comments: